Ever wondered WHY it is SO hard to lose those last 10 or 20 pounds? No matter what you do, you exercise 4-5 days per week, you eat healthfully consistently, you drink 8 glasses of water per day, you avoid alcohol, you make sure you are burning more calories than you’re consuming, you are on top of things….but you just can’t seem to drop that last little bit of excess weight!
It’s frustrating, I know from experience. Luckily, through all of my trials and tribulations, I’ve figured out some of the main reasons why you can’t seem to break that threshold for weight loss. One reason of which, is “whole grains”.
What?! I know what you’re thinking…”Aren’t whole grains are on the U.S. food pyramid as one of our daily diet recommendations?”….let me clear things up for you.
1. Whole wheat bread is not a whole grain. It is a processed carbohydrate baked good. Does actual bread rise up and grow up out of the earth? No! If it’s a baked good, I don’t care WHAT label they put on it, “Whole Wheat Bread”, “Organic Whole Wheat Bread”, it doesn’t matter…humans weren’t made to eat this processed stuff. So get it out of your cupboard & move on.
2. Whole wheat….this is an extensive topic in and of itself. I’ll make it short and simple for you, the “whole wheat” of 2014 is not the same as 1930’s whole wheat is not the same as 100 B.C.’s whole wheat. It’s called genetic modification, and WAY WAY back in the days of Jesus, whole wheat was grown in its purest form, called einkorn. Through genetic modification, whole wheat has been morphed into emmer wheat and then high-yield/higher-gluten dwarf wheat. The difference? And why?
“Humans have gradually changed the genetics of wheat by selecting those seeds at harvest time that suited the goal of higher yields and more gluten which worked well for larger farms and larger scale agriculture, production, and distribution of wheat products.”
3. The ancient grain, Einkorn wheat had only 2 chromosomes. It’s later form, Emmer wheat, has 4 chromosomes, & spelt has 6 chromosomes! Almost all wheat today is high-yield dwarf wheat, developed by cross-breeding and genetic manipulation…6+ chromosomes…Hence the reason for the spike in gluten & wheat allergies.
What does all of this have to do with weight loss? Your body can’t digest it properly, and you also may be having an allergic reaction to it. Empty calories, leaves your body weak. Nutrient dense foods fuel your body for optimal performance.
4. Beware of refined grains. “Refining separates the nutritious component of the grain away from the endosperm, where most of the starchy carbs are contained. This leads to a reduction in nutrient density and increases ability of wheat to spike blood sugar really fast.”
5. We prepare our grains differently nowadays. Flour is bleached and bread is baked with quick rise yeast. Back in the day, we sprouted, soaked, fermented & baked bread with slow rise yeast, “Sprouting and fermenting grains increases the amino acid lysine, reduces anti-nutrients (like phytic acid and lectins), disables enzyme inhibitors and makes nutrients more accessible”.
6. Most “whole grain” products (like bread and the oh-so-“healthy”-wraps) have sugar, salt and other additives….they spike our blood sugar, affect our energy & metabolism, & therefore make the ability to burn fat difficult….
Which whole grains CAN I eat?
Unrefined, unprocessed, organic, wheat & gluten free grains are your safest bet. Soak & sprout your grains (very easy process, you just soak them in water overnight), & cook them in large quantities (prep several meal’s worth of food ahead of time to save on future cooking time). You can make your own flour from blending the grains in your high-powered blender. Use almond flour & coconut flour too! Eating grains in moderation is key.
Some whole grains I keep in my kitchen are:
- Buckwheat Groats
- Brown Rice
- Cornmeal whole grain (not corn starch!)
Quinoa is a favorite with my friends, fans & family. It’s easy to cook, versatile and inexpensive & easy to find in your local grocery store. Check out my recipes to get some yummy quinoa meal ideas!
Don’t forget to get your free copy of the Seven Day Detox plan to really rev up your weight loss, improve your energy levels and immune system and more!